1896 Fletcher Public Library Card No. 53 issued to James Fitzgerald
The Fletcher Public Library
The Fletcher Public Library opened on August 8, 1896, with an inventory of 110 volumes provided by the state of Vermont. The library was located in the Fletcher Post Office, and Mrs. Cephas Carpenter was the librarian.
Chartered in 1781, Fletcher, Vermont, is located in Franklin County in northwestern Vermont and currently has population of about 1,400 residents.
Mrs. Cephas Carpenter
Anna Maria (Annie) Slater was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, in 1841. She married Cephas Carpenter on October 6, 1859. Her husband, Cephas, was appointed Postmaster of the Fletcher Post Office on July 17, 1894 (U.S., Appointments of U. S. Postmasters, 1832-1971}. . Annie Carpenter died January 28, 1908, and is buried at the Binghamville Cemetery in Fletcher, Vermont.