Post-1945 Card of Admission, School of Oriental Studies Library
The School of Oriental Studies
Opened in 1916, The School of Oriental Studies, part of the University of London in London, England, was originally housed in the former London Institution buildings at Finsbury Circus. In the mid-1930s, the School of Oriental Studies moved to Bloomsbury and subsequently, the buildings of the London Institution were abandoned and then demolished.
Focusing on Asian, African and Middle Eastern studies, the library holds over one million volumes and electronic resources for the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East, and was designated by HEFCE in 2011 as one of the United Kingdom’s five National Research Libraries. Since 1973, the library has been located in the Philips Building on the Russell Square campus of the University of London. The Philips Building was designed by British architect Sir Denys Lasdun, who also designed some of Britain’s most famous brutalist buildings such as the National Theatre and the Institute of Education.
The Gale Memorial Library is located at 695 Main Street in Laconia, New Hampshire. The Richardsonian Romanesque-style building was funded by a local banker, Napoleon Bonaparte Gale, who, knowing the importance of public libraries, bequeathed $100,000 for “a substantial and proper building of brick and stone for the Public Library,” as well as a hospital and park. Designed by Boston architect, Charles Brigham, and constructed between 1901 and 1903, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Napoleon Bonaparte Gale
Napoleon Bonaparte Gale (1815-1984), was a successful Laconia banker.
The Egyptian National Library and Archives (دار الكتب والوثائق القومية) “Dar el-Kotob”, formerly known as The Kehdivial Kutub Khana, is a non-profit government organization, and is located in Cairo. It is the largest library in Egypt and one of the largest libraries in the world.
Established in 1870. It was originally located in Prince Mustafa Fadel’s palace in Darb Al Gamamiz. However, due to its rapid increase in inventory, a new building was built in 1904 in Bab Al Khalq, which also included the Museum of Islamic Art.
In January 2014, a car bomb explosion targeting the Police Headquarters across the street caused extensive damage to the Library building and collections, and forced the Library to close for renovations until early 2019.
The National Library currently houses several million volumes, including some of the oldest Arabic-language and Eastern manuscripts in the world.
The “Colored Branch” of the Rosenberg Library in Galveston, Texas, was the first public library in Texas for African Americans. It is believed that it was also the first public library for African Americans in the entire southern region of the United States. The main branch of the Rosenberg Library, established in 1904 from a trust bequeathed by Henry Rosenberg, was located at 2310 Sealy Street, but due to Jim Crow laws and forced segregation, African American residents were prohibited from using the new library. Shortly before the opening of the new Rosenberg Library, the Board of Directors resolved to open a “colored” branch “so that the white and colored citizens of Galveston may separately derive advantages from the bequest of Henry Rosenberg for the establishment and maintenance of a Free Public Library for the use of the people of Galveston.” Subsequently, a new “colored branch” opened in 1905. It was located in an annex building of Central High School, the first public school for African Americans, located at 1304 27th Street. The segregated branch opened with over 4,000 volumes and 210 library members. In 1965, the Galveston School District integrated and the students at Central High School slowly merged with Ball High School. Central High School closed it’s doors in 1968 and in 1976 became the Old Central Cultural Center. The words “Colored Branch of Rosenberg Library” are still above the stone doorway leading into the annex.
Henry Rosenberg born in Switzerland in 1824, arrived in Galveston, Texas in February 1843 and worked as a clerk in a dry-goods store. He eventually purchased the business and turned it into the leading dry-goods store in Texas by 1859. Subsequently, he branched into financing and investing in the banking, real estate and transportation industries. He died in Galveston in 1889 and bequeathed part of his fortune to the city of Galveston.
Lt. Walter Jay Lacy (1915-1998) was a 1932 graduate of Central High School in Galveston, and joined the Galveston Police Department in 1939. After enlisting in the US Marine Corps and serving a tour during WWII, he resumed his duties for the Galveston Police Department and served the community of Galveston as a detective for 40 years and a civil employee for another 15 years. Lt. Lacy, a highly decorated officer, was recognized by the Texas House of Representatives for his services to the Galveston Police Department, received The Outstanding Officer and Detective Division Award from the 50’s Club of Galveston, and an award from the Texas Peace Officers Association for outstanding services in 1997.
Pre-1974 Roswell P. Flower Memorial Library Borrower’s Card
Roswell P. Flower Memorial Library
The Roswell P. Flower Memorial Library was funded by Mrs. Emma Flower Taylor in memory of her father and designed by Orchard, Lansing & Joralemon of Niagara Falls. The library was dedicated on November 10, 1904.
Roswell Pettibone Flower
Roswell P. Flower (1835–1899), was a New York State Congressman from 1881 to 1890, and the 30th Governor of New York from 1891 to 1894.
Howard Ray Ferguson
Howard Ray Ferguson (1926–2001) was born in Watertown and worked for the Black-Clawson Co. in Watertown.