Pre-1946 Library Card issued to Madeline Agnes Leite
Merced County Free Library
The Merced County Free Library’s Gustine Branch, opened in November 1910. Born from the donations of benefactors, including the Merced County Ladies Library, a membership social library which operated out of Nelson Cody’s (Buffalo Bill’s cousin) Corner Drug Store at 17th and Canal Streets in downtown Merced. The initial offering of 500 volumes were donated by Nelson’s wife, Anna Marie Nelson Cody, and were located in a back room at the Park Restaurant. The Gustine Branch relocated in 1948 to 6th Street and 2nd Avenue at Henry Miller Park where it still operates.
Madeline Agnes Leite (1928-2009)
Madelyn Agnes Silva “Mattie” Leite Amaral was a California native and advocate for disabled persons.