Freeport Public Library, Freeport, Illinois

Pre-1937 Freeport Public Library Borrower’s Card No. 4873 issued to Marian E. Holmes

Freeport Public Library, Freeport, Illinois

The Freeport Public Library had modest beginnings in 1874 as a small collection of 250 volumes housed in a spare room at the YMCA, which was located over Emmert & Burrell’s drug store at 111 Stephenson Street in Freeport.  A subscription fee of 75 cents quarterly permitted the subscriber to borrow books every Saturday afternoon and Wednesday evening.   In 1889, the YMCA opened a new building at a site formerly occupied by the First Presbyterian Church at Walnut and Stephenson and made room for the small library. 

The Y.M.C.A. building at Walnut and Stephenson Streets, Freeport, IL, second home of the Freeport Library (Public Domain Pre-1923 postcard)

On February 21, 1901, the Carnegie Corporation provided  a $30,000 grant to build a new public library building.  In 1902, the new public library opened at 314 West Stephenson Street with 19,000 volumes.  Designed by Patton and Miller of Chicago, the new library was the first Carnegie library in Illinois.  By 1924, the library had issued over 1,200 library cards and inventory had increased to over 43,000 volumes.  As the years passed, the city outgrew the West Stephenson Street building, so in 1991 plans were put into motion to construct a new, modernized building.  After years of planning, a new 40,000 sf building was opened on Douglas Street in 2002.  In 2017, the old Carnegie building underwent a $2.3M renovation and now serves as Freeport’s City Hall.

Freeport Public Library (Public Domain Pre-1923 postcard)

Marian E. Holmes

Marian Elaine Holmes was born in Illinois on May 5, 1889.  She married Lloyd Eugene Holmes (1886-1930) and had one son, Stanley Campbell Holmes (1929-2005).  After being widowed in 1930, she and Stanley moved to Florida where she was a bookkeeper and secretary.  She died in Panama City, Florida in 1966.  

Kelly High School Library, Chicago, Illinois

Pre-1943 Kelly High School Library Bookmark

Kelly High School, Chicago, Illinois

Named for Thomas J. Kelly, the Irish nationalist, Kelly High School located at 4136 S. California Avenue in Chicago, Illinois, opened in December 1928 as a junior high school, only serving grades six through ninth.  After the Board of Education abolished all junior high schools in Chicago in July 1933, Kelly began the1933 school year as a senior high school.  Kelly High School is the third largest high school in Chicago

How to Use the Card Catalog

“The catalog tells what books are in the library.  It is alphabetically arranged by author, title and subject.

The letters and figures in the upper left hand corner of each card show where the book may be found on the shelf.

The books are arranged on the shelf by numerical order from 000-999 and under each number by the author.  Individual biographies are arranged under the number 921 and the last name of the person whose life it is.  

Fiction books are separately grouped and are arranged alphabetically by the author’s last name.

Reference books such as encyclopedias are shelved in a separate section of the library.”

Dewey Decimal Classes

000-099 Journalism, etc

100-199 Psychology, philosophy

200-299 Religion, mythology

300-399 Sociology, economics, government

400-499 Grammar, vocabulary

500-599 Science, mathematics

600-699 Technical, trades, business

700-799 Arts, music, sports

800-899 Poetry, short stories, plays

900-999 Histories – ancient, modern U.S.

910-919 Travel, adventure, geography

920 Collected biography

921 Individual biography

Fiction books arranged on the shelf by the author’s last name.

If you have any difficulty finding what you need we will be glad to help you.

Thomas Joseph Kelly

Thomas Joseph Kelly (1833-1908) was an Irish revolutionary and leader of the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB).