Cleveland Public Library, Pre-1932 Library Card No. 4006 and Card Sleeve issued to Walter R. Miller
Cleveland Public Library
In March 1867, a legislative statute was passed authorizing the Board of Education to tax the citizens of Cleveland for the purpose of funding a public library. Housed on the third floor of the Northrup & Harrington Block on Superior Street, the library opened to the public on February 17, 1869, with approximately 2,000 books obtained from the public school library. By August 1869, there were nearly 4,000 registered members.
Between 1873 and 1879, the Library moved multiple times. The Clark Building on Superior Street, the new City Hall, and the second and third floors of the old Central High School building on Euclid Avenue.
In 1884, the Cleveland Public Library appointed William H. Brett as Head Library. Brett, who was considered to be one of the most influential librarians of the twenty century, introduced the then-novel idea of an “open shelf” system, whereby library members would have direct access to the books. Brett served as Head Librarian until his untimely death in 1918.
In 1915, the Cleveland architectural firm, Walker and Weeks, won a competition to design a new library building, but due to the demands of World War I, construction was delayed until 1923. Finally, in September 1925, the $4,000,000 classical Renaissance-style building opened its doors to the public.
In 1997, the 10-story Louis Stokes Wing was dedicated and the main building underwent a $24 million renovation, including careful restoration of the original ceiling finishes, original leather doors, exterior marble and historical light fixtures.
The Cleveland Public Library celebrated its 150-year anniversary in 2019. Today, the Cleveland Public Library system has twenty-seven branch libraries.
William H. Brett
William Howard Brett (1846-1918) was head librarian for the Cleveland Public Library from 1884 to 1918. He is considered one of the “100 most important librarians of the 20th century”. Under Brett’s guidance, book circulation at the Cleveland Public Library went from 50,000 volumes in 1889 to over 3 million volumes in 1918, placing the library in the top three of the greatest libraries in the United States at that time.
Brett was known for introducing several new library management concepts that are still used today. While at the Cleveland Public Library, he instituted an “open shelf” concept whereby allowing library members to have direct access to library materials and the ability to browse and research independently. Another major contribution was “divisional arrangements.” Brett and his vice-librarian, Linda A. Eastman, divided the reference and circulating books into major categories and had dedicated staff handle each subject matter. Brett also championed separate children’s reading rooms believing that children deserved their own space.
Brett’s life and library career were cut short by a drunk driver in 1918.
Pre-1934 Reader’s Card No. 51582 issued to Lawrence Mulliner
The James V. Brown Library
The James V. Brown Library, at 19 East Fourth Street in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, opened its doors to the public in 1907. James V. Brown, a wealthy business owner, had long desired to build a public library for the citizens of Williamsport, but plans in earnest didn’t begin until 1899 when Brown purchased a plot of land on which to build the new library. Brown then hired Philadelphia architect, Edgar V. Seeler, to design the new library. By May 1900, Seeler had proposed a grand, French Renaissance building, complete with monolithic, twenty-two foot, dual columns flanking the entrance. Seeler designed the building to include an art gallery space, marble statues imported from Italy, an elevator, steam heat and electric lights throughout.
The cornerstone was laid on March 10, 1906, and the library opened to the public on June 17, 1907.
The James V. Brown Library Reader’s Card Application
James V. Brown
James Van Duzee Brown, born on March 4, 1826, was a business owner and philanthropist in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. He amassed a large fortune through a number of early business ventures, including lumber, coal and flour milling. He was an early founder of the First National Bank in Pennsylvania, President of the Williamsport Water Company and the Citizens’ Gas and Water Company. Prior to his death, he pledged $400,000 to build a public library. James V. Brown died on December 8, 1904, three years before completion of the new library.
Pre-1951 Josephine-Louise Public Library Card No. 163 issued to Thelma Van Houten
The Josephine-Louise Public Library, Walden, New York
The Josephine-Louise Public Library is a memorial library dedicated to Josephine Dennison Bradley (1843-1903) and Louise Harper Bradley (1869-1900), wife and daughter of Col. Thomas Wilson Bradley (1844-1920), President of the New York Knife Factory, Medal of Honor recipient for his service during the Civil War, and a member of the US Congress.
The library began as a circulating library club in 1896 by a group of Walden residents that included Josephine Bradley. Upon petitioning the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York, the circulating library was granted a 5-year provisional charter and, in 1901, the first Walden Public Library opened. In 1915, plans to build a new Municipal Building were put into place. Colonel Bradley, in honor of his wife and daughter, matched “dollar for dollar” the town budget to build the new facility which included a firehouse, as well as offices, an assembly room and, of course, a library space. In addition, he fully funded a temporary location in the village hall until the new Municipal Building was completed. The new Walden Municipal Building and Library opened at 5 Scofield Street in Walden in 1916.
Thelma Van Houten
Thelma Louise Van Houten (1/30/1929 – 6/19/1992), life-long New York native.
American Library Association’s Library War Service
In 1917, the American Library Association established the Library War Service to provide books and services to American World War I soldiers stationed at home and abroad, as well as, military hospitals and prisoners of war.
To raise money for the library fund, the bookplate, designed by C.B. Falls, was distributed to department stores, banks, and other places to be purchased for $1.00 by the establishment’s clients. The purchaser could place their name and address on the bookplate, which would be pasted into a book that has been previously donated to the War Service Library.
Through public monetary and book donations, the ALA established at least 43 camp libraries and distributed approximately 10 million books and magazines, including braille books to soldiers that lost their sight in battle. The ALA also hired over 234 trained librarians to staff the camp and military hospital libraries through the grants from the Carnegie Corporation.
The camp library buildings were designed by architect E. L. Tillman and were equipped to hold approximately 10,000 volumes, and came with a small vehicle for library related tasks such as transportation of books. Some camp libraries were equipped with fireplaces to provide ambiance and “a touch of home and civilization.”
The Library War Service remained active through 1919, after which the library services became military-managed.
Charles Buckles Falls
Charles Buckles Falls (1874-1960) was an American artist, and illustrator. He is best known for his poster and advertisements for the U.S. military and American Library Association during the first World War.
1882 Young Men’s Mercantile Library Association of Cincinnati Member’s Ticket (Circulation No. B. 69) Issued to J. H. Barker
Young Men’s Mercantile Library Association of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
The Young Men’s Mercantile Library Association of Cincinnati was established in April 1835 by Moses Ranney and 44 young men seeking to improve their skills within their mercantile trades. Lacking useful resources to improve their skills, they banded together to open a library that would cater to the needs of the undereducated and those seeking self-improvement. With seed money of $1800 and 700 volumes, the Library began operations in the Daniel Ames’ Building on Main Street, below Pearl, for $12.50 per month. Being a modest operation on a shoestring budget, there was no librarian, so all library duties were performed by the Directors. However, due to a steady increase in membership, the Library was able to elect their first librarian by the end of the first year. By 1836, the Library had approximately 1200 volumes.
The Library held art exhibits, literary readings and lectures by noted clergy, businessmen, and literary figures such as William Makepeace Thackeray, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Horace Greeley. The Library also encouraged the advancement of women by extending invitations to Harriet Beecher Stowe and Eliza Logan. Periodicals and worldwide newspapers, such as the London Times were available, as well as foreign language books. The Library also offered classes in languages, mathematics, book-keeping and penmanship.
In Spring of 1840, the Library began its association with Cincinnati College and moved into rented rooms in the Cincinnati College building located on Walnut Street.
The Fire of 1845
On January 19, 1845, the Cincinnati College was destroyed by fire. Due to the heroic efforts of nearby members, many volumes were saved and transferred to rooms at the corner of Fourth and Sycamore Streets for temporary housing. This calamity offered the Library a unique opportunity. In consideration of the sum of $10,000 donated by the Library to go toward rebuilding, the Cincinnati College granted the Library ownership in perpetuity to a suite of rooms in the new building. Plans for a new 3-story building “exclusive of the attic” having “a modern edifice of Grecian Doric order” were announced in the Cincinnati Enquirer on March 3, 1846. The front area on the second floor would be designed for the accommodation of the Library.
The Library remained active during this period of displacement. In 1853, a block of native marble taken from the Ohio River bedrock was donated to the construction of the Washington Monument.
In addition to continued civic activities and cultural events, membership grew to 2,500 (by 1855) and the number of volumes available to members increased through purchase and donation to over 15,000. In 1859, women were permitted to join the Library.
The Fire of 1869
On October 20, 1869, a second fire destroyed the Cincinnati College building. Plans to build a new 4-story building were put into place by late 1869, and the Library temporarily moved to the A. E. Chamberlain & Co. building at 137-139 Race Street (between 3rd and 4th Streets). By 1871, the new 4-story building was opened and the Library was back on Walnut Street.
In the early 1900s, the Cincinnati College Building was sold to local business interests and a new 12-story building was built on the Walnut Street site. A 1905 city directory lists the Library address as 11th Floor Mercantile Library Building. The Library continues to operate from the Mercantile Library Building. It is one of the last subscription libraries in the United States.
Moses Ranney (1810-1853) was a local business man and a leading figure in the organization of the Young Men’s Mercantile Library Association of Cincinnati. He served as the Library’s first President from 1835-1840. Born in Middletown, Connecticut to Moses Ranney, Sr. and Elizabeth Gilchrist, his father, Moses, died shortly after his birth. As a young man, he travelled to Cincinnati with his mother and established a business. In 1837, he married Catherine Maria Luckey (1818-1906), and together had six daughters, five of which pre-deceased Ranney.
A melodramatic article on the vices of drinking published in the February 1, 1855 Lancaster Gazette indicated Ranney’s life took a downward spiral and that he lost everything due to alcoholism. Perhaps a kernel of truth due to the trauma of loss of multiple children took its toll.
Moses Ranney died on August 20, 1852, in New Orleans, Louisiana of Yellow Fever. He was buried in the Cypress Grove Cemetery.
H. B. Morehead
Harry “Henry” Blackburn Morehead (1847-1899), son of Kentucky Governor James T. Morehead, was a stockbroker and principal owner of H. B. Morehead & Co., a stocks and bonds brokerage. In 1891, being a majority stock holder, he assumed control and management of the Commercial Gazette Company. He succumbed to tuberculosis in 1899. He is buried in the Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati, Ohio.
J. H. Barker
Joseph H. Barker (1854-1902), son of Capt. Jonathan H. Barker (1814-1900), steamboat captain for the Cincinnati to Louisville Daily Packet Line, was a supervisor for the New Water Company. He succumbed to liver disease and is buried in the Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati,
The Forbes Library, also known as “the castle on the hill,” due to its solitary location, opened on October 23, 1894 at 20 West St, Northampton, Massachusetts. Judge Charles Edward Forbes (1795-1881), a desiring a public library for the citizens of Northampton, left in his will a large sum for “purchase of a site and erection of a building for the accommodation of a public library, and for the purchase of books etc. to be placed therein for the use of the inhabitants of the said town of Northampton and their successors forever.”
William C. Brocklesby (1841-1910), who had designed a number of buildings at nearby Smith College, was commissioned to design and build a “fireproof building” to house the new library. Brocklesby designed a Richardsonian Romanesque, three-story stone building with an all steel frame and a stone, slate and copper exterior. The large building could accommodate over 400,000 volumes. The library underwent a complete renovation between 1998 and 2001 and is listed on the Register of Historic Buildings. The Forbes Library is also home to the Calvin Coolidge Presidential Library & Museum.
Archivio Vaticano Admission Card No. 182 issued to O. Fr. Vittorio E. Barriga
The Vatican Archives
The Vatican Archives was established in1612 when Pope Paul V ordered all Church records to be assembled in one place. Located in Vatican City, it is the central archive for all acts promulgated by the Holy See. Also located in the Vatican Archives are state papers, correspondent, papal account books, and other church documents accumulated over the centuries. Part of the Vatican Library until the sometime in the 17th century, Pope Paul V separated the archives from the main library, which limited access to scholars and completely closed off access to the public. In 1881, Pope Leo XIII reopened the archives for research.
The Vatican is currently undergoing an in-house digitization project to make archive documents more available to researchers and to provide an extra layer of preservation for aging documents. Over seven million images have been digitized and are now available online.
ARCHIVIO VATICANO (VATICAN ARCHIVE)
Tessera di ammissione n. 182 rilasciata al O. Fr. Vittorio E. Barriga il 14 Febbraio 1930 (Admission card n. 182 issued to O. Fr. Vittorio E. Barriga on 14 February 1930)
Vale per entrare in Vaticano dal Portone di Bronzo a dalia porta presso Sant’Anna nei Giorni Comuni d’apertura dell’Archivio (Allows entrance to the Vatican from the Bronze Door to the door at Sant’Anna during open days of the Archive)
Per la validate occorre la fotografia, la firma del titolare e il bollo a data dell’Archivio. (Needs photograph, the holder’s signature and Archive date stamp to be validated.)
Firma del titolare (Signature of Holder)
Validita mesi (Months valid)
Scade il 14 Luglio 1930 (Expires on July 14, 1930)