The Public Library of Fairbanks located at 901 1st Avenue in Fairbanks, Alaska, was built in 1909, with funds provided by Philadelphia philanthropist and cartographer, George Coupland Thomas (1884-1955), who made his fortune publishing atlases, maps and tourist guides. Prior to that, the city of Fairbanks had limited library services provided by the Episcopal Church. The log building served as the public library until 1977, at which point the Noel Wien Public Library opened. In 1978, the building was designated a National Historic Landmark due to the historic conference that took place on July 5 and 6, 1915, when the building was the site of a meeting between Alaska Native leaders and the U.S. federal government, during which native land claims were discussed. It was not until the 1971, when the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act was enacted, that those matters were resolved.