Girard Free Library Card No. Y 1708 issued to Sallie Miles
Girard Free Library
The Girard Free Library opened in 1921 and was housed in the 1861 Italianate-style building formerly called the Union School, Girard’s first school house. Prior to the opening of the library, the Union School was converted to the Village Hall, and subsequently, upon a large population surge and city incorporation, the Village Hall was converted to the City Building and became the home of the first public library in 1921. The Girard Public Library was located in the City Building until 1973 after which a new contemporary building was constructed on East Prospect Street, where the library can be found today.
Sallie I. Miles (1947-2011) was a 25+ year employee of RMI Titanium Co. in Niles, Ohio. She attended Capitol University in Columbus with an emphasis in music and later attended Youngstown State University’s Engineering Department.
Library Membership Card No. 15-186 issued to Mr. To Ky Nghia
The Abraham Lincoln Library, Saigon
The Abraham Lincoln Library was located in The Rex Complex on Nguyễn Huệ Street in Saigon. The Rex Complex was designed by Vietnamese architect, Lê Van Cấu, for husband and wife, Nguyễn Phúc Ung Thị and Nguyen Thi Nguyet Nga. Mr. Ung, a wealthy businessman born into the Nguyễn dynasty, had long desired to obtain the property located near the Hotel de Ville, which was formerly occupied by a Citroën dealership. In 1959, his wish came true and he and his wife began to renovate the building into a modern 100-room hotel. The renovated hotel featured the first escalator in Vietnam, three cinemas, a cafeteria, a dance hall, and the Abraham Lincoln Library.
Due to the Vietnam war, The Rex Complex was involuntarily surrendered to the Saigon Tourism Bureau in 1975. In 1976, Ung Thi left Vietnam to join his wife and children in France where they remained until their deaths. The Rex Complex was renamed The Rex Hotel in 1986 and classified as a 5 star hotel in 2008.
To Ky Nghia
Mr. To Ky Nghia lived at 15/83 Nguyen Trail in Cholon, Saigon, Vietnam.