Pre-1995 Library Card and Sleeve for the August County Library
The opening of the Augusta County Library in Fishersville, Virginia was announced in the Daily News Leader, on July 14, 1939. Located in the Beverly Manor Elementary School, the public library was open to all “county folk.” The library held approximately 1,400 volumes for all ages. Miss “Lina” Hupman was the librarian. The initial hours were Sunday through Friday, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm; however, due to robust attendance, Saturday hours (9:00 am to 1:00 pm) were quickly added and announced in The Daily News Leader, October 28, 1939.
In August 1947, the Augusta County Library was moved to the new Wilson Memorial High School campus (formerly the Woodrow Wilson General Hospital). Occupying one of the numerous wards on the former hospital campus, the library boasted over 14,000 volumes and a film library covering over 165 subjects.
Miss Evelina Gibbons Hupman (b. June 28, 1889 – d. July 31, 1958) retired on June 30, 1958, after 53 years of service to the Augusta County School system.
In 1977, after responsibility for the Augusta County Library was transferred from the Augusta County School System to the newly established Augusta County Public Library System, a new facility was built for the library on the Wilson campus. Plans for the new library facility included a reference desk, chess club, children’s story hours, a listening center, local history, and women’s collections, as well as bookmobiles to serve the community. The new library was dedicated on March 20, 1977.
On December 17, 1983, the library moved to the old Fishersville Elementary School located at Rt. 250 and Rt. 608 in Fishersville. The new location was a 25,000 sq, ft, building renovated for use as a library. In preparation for the move, the library asked members to check out 20 books each and return them to the new location after the move.
In December 2010, after several years of preparation, the library completed a 14-month renovation project. The Augusta County Library is located at 1759 Jefferson Highway, Fishersville, Virginia.